The UPSC mains GS - 4 paper of Ethics is one of the major components of UPSC syllabus.Human behaviour is often a very complex one.Impartiality is treating everyone equal. Non-partisanship is not being biased towards any particular ideology or political group.Civil servants are required to imbibe these qualities to give their best as civil servants to the society.
- Impartiality and Non-partisanship
IMPARTIALITY & NON-PARTISANSHIP
Impartiality and Non-partisanship both form essential foundational values for civil services. While impartiality ensures equality without any bias and prejudices in the general, non-partisanship ensures a neutral approach in politics and a solid commitment to the government.
These attributes are necessary for a civil servant:
- Impartiality – With control of resources at one’s dispensation, a Civil servant need to be impartial to plural group identities – religion, caste, creed, gender, social standing etc. They ought to be weighed equally much in light of “Right to Equality” enshrined in our Constitution.
- Non-partisanship – A civil servant should be apolitical as it’s the bureaucracy which is the permanent executive. The government in power, irrespective of political party, must be provided the bureaucratic services in same spirit without any biasness and functioning of government stays effective.
- These values become more so important where laws or guidelines are absent or not defined clearly.
An impartial and non-partisan public service makes responsible, democratic government work by-
- Ensuring objective and evidence-based advice.
- Providing the information that ministers need to fulfil their accountability role to parliament and the public.
- Delivering services in an effective manner.
- Managing resources and programs effectively.
- Ensuring a legal and constitutional transition when democratic processes result in new administrations.
- Ensuring that once professional advice is given, there is a competent and able execution of those decisions which are lawfully made.
Being a civil servant the Impartiality and Non-partisanship helps you shape your career and the value in the adminstration system. To read more articles on ethics - click here